Universal Pictures were the first of the modern Hollywood studios, and over their one hundred years, they have been responsible for some of the world’s most memorable feature films. The home of ET, Jurassic Park, Despicable Me, Jason Bourne, Dracula, Bridget Jones, Mamma Mia!, The Mummy, Les Miserables, King Kong and the unstoppable Fast & Furious franchise, to name a few.
Universal Consumer Products International oversees NBCUniversal's consumer product and digital licensing for Universal Pictures, NBC Television, Focus Features and Sprout Channel. Universal Consumer Products International is part of NBCUniversal. NBCUniversal is one of the world's leading media and entertainment companies in the development, production, and marketing of entertainment, news, and information to a global audience. NBCUniversal owns and operates a valuable portfolio of news and entertainment television networks, a premier motion picture company, significant television production operations, a leading television stations group, world-renowned theme parks, and a suite of leading internet-based businesses. NBCUniversal is a subsidiary of Comcast Corporation.
The Fashion Designer originates creative designs to service NBCUniversal’s direct to retail business and actioning all associated product approvals, managing input from third party stakeholders where applicable. The role reports to the Product Development Manager and works closely with multiple internal functions within the NBCUniversal Brand Development team including Retail, Category, Franchise and Creative. Regular travel will be required in order to meet with buyers to take briefs and present latest creative direction, trends and available assets across multiple properties. The Fashion Designer will also support the Product Development, Category and Retail Managers with ad hoc design support such as creating product decks, mocking up retail executions and delivering creative slides for key partner meetings as needed.
- Development of original artwork to service the seasonal and fast fashion needs of NBCUniversal’s DTR partners, including the production of exclusive artwork assets.
- Research and identify fashion trends across all consumer demographics via WGSN, trade press, buyer meetings, comp shopping etc, and interpret them into original graphics as appropriate across NBCUniversal’s portfolio.
- Regularly attend creative development meetings with buyers to take briefs and seek design feedback feedback.
- Produce designs to agreed deadlines.
- Regularly present creative/approvals updates to buyers including new asset availability, submissions process, branding options etc.
- Prepare production-ready working artwork files to external suppliers for sampling.
- Review and manage the DTR product approval submissions directly from external partners, providing written feedback and amended artwork as necessary, and returning comments within a contractually stipulated timeframe.
- Review pre-production samples to ensure approved concept is accurately reproduced and quality of application is to standard, as well as close out final samples on receipt.
- Work closely with our third-party rights owners and film-makers where applicable to ensure brand values, design standards and talent/character likenesses are upheld in every product application, as well as ensuring all legal requirements are adhered to.
- Work with the Product Development and Creative team to set the creative direction for specific properties, aligned with category and retail strategies.
- Maintain an internal tracker of all listed designs and in-store launch dates.
SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
- Design experience within the licensing or retail sector with specific reference to softlines categories.
- An understanding of hardlines creative development would be advantageous.
- Advanced Illustrator and Photoshop design/ artworking skills essential.
- Understanding of current and upcoming fashion trends in the European markets and the ability to translate them into commercially viable product ideas across a wide variety of properties and consumer demos
- Strong time management and organizational skills.
- Able to demonstrate an understanding of multiple production methods and limitations, particularly within the fashion and home categories.
- Strong written and oral communication skills and the ability to work with and influence third party stakeholders at all levels, both internal and external
- Driven, passionate and highly motivated.
- Ability to work with confidential and sensitive information in a discreet manner.
- A sociable personality.
- Team player with a can-do attitude