First launched in 2007, The International Pingu’s are awarded to licensees, agents and retail partners to celebrate the outstanding achievements across eight categories of the licensing industry, including the prestigious Agent of the Year.
The 2009 International Pingu Award for Agent of the Year went to PPW, the company’s agent for the China region, following its successful launch campaign of Thomas & Friends in China.
PPW spearheaded the launch of Thomas & Friends on CCTV, China’s national television broadcaster, in January along with the launch of the publishing deal with Children’s Fun Publishing.
The property is enjoying strong ratings success in China and the publishing business is now on its third print run due to popular demand.
Among the other eight categories, Hit Entertainment awarded the following agents, licences and retail partners a 2009 International Pingu:
- Food & Beverage Licensee of the Year – Fonterra Australia for Bob the Builder Yoghurt
- Hard Goods Licensee of the Year – Funtastic Australia for Thomas & Friends Trackmaster launch
- Soft Goods Licensee of the Year – Companhia Brasileira de Distribucao, Extra, for Barney & Friends baby wipes and diapers
- Live Event of the Year – Canal Walk for the Barney & Friends, Bob the Builder and Thomas & Friends Mall Event
- Third Party Promotion of the Year – Goody’s for Bob the Builder Junior Meals
- Retail Promotion of the Year – Deutsches kinderhilfswerk for Bob the Builder kindergarten renovation campaign
- Retailer of the Year – Top Toy for their support of Bob the Builder and Thomas & Friends
And the Merit Award Winners are:
- Soft Goods Licensee of the Year - Ratt Start for their Pingu nursery range
- Third Party Promotion of the Year - Sony Creative & Tropicana