LIMA has revealed the winners of this year’s Licensing Excellence Awards at Licensing Expo 2014.
The most successful and creative licensed properties and products of the year were recognised at the annual ceremony held in Las Vegas.
In what has been described as a “spectacular event, with more entries than ever before,” Duck Dynasty scooped the awards for Best Overall Licensed Program of the Year and Best Film, TV or Entertainment Programme, while Retailer of the Year went to Hot Topic for Doctor Who.
Further big winners included Junk Food Clothing who took home three awards including Best Sports Licence and LEGO for Best Character or Toy Brand Licensee in Hard Goods for the second year running.
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles collected two prizes for Film, television or Entertainment Licensee in both the Hard and Soft Goods categories, while Angry Birds from Rovio received the prize in the new Digital/New Media category.
“It was a truly spectacular night, and a banner year for our awards programme,” said LIMA president Charles Riotto.
“This year, we received more entries from more countries than ever before, which was very gratifying and made voting especially challenging.”
The winners were chosen from a record total of 360 entries, which were then pared down to 118 nominees before being voted on by LIMA members.
Among those celebrated on the night at the international awards show was the UK based Thomas Pink Limited and it’s the Beatle Shirt Collection, who won Best Celebrity Licensee of the Year in the Celebrity category.
“Great to see an iconic UK brand like Thomas Pink win through by their association with an even bigger British brand, The Beatles, and all through boutique agency Caroline Mickler, “ said Kelvyn Gardner, LIMA UK MD.
“Small can be beautiful in the LIMA Awards. It’s also great to see Doctor Who making headway internationally, mirroring the success of the TV series.”
The full list of this year’s winners are listed below:
ART OR DESIGN
- Best Art or Design Program of the Year Dena (Dena Designs, Inc.)
- Best Art or Design Licensee of the Year Junk Food Clothing (for Jean-Michel Basquiat Apparel Collection)
- Best Property of the Year Cake Boss – Buddy Valastro (Discovery Communications)
- Best Celebrity Licensee of the Year Thomas Pink Limited (for The Beatles Shirt Collection)
CHARACTER OR TOY BRAND
- Best Property of the Year Monster High (Mattel)
- Best Character or Toy Brand Licensee of the Year – Hard Goods LEGO (LEGO Star Wars)
- Best Character or Toy Brand Licensee of the Year – Soft Goods Junk Food Clothing (for DC Comics Apparel Collection)
- Best Property of the Year Girls Scouts of the USA (Girls Scouts of the USA/The Wildflower Group, LLC)
- Best Corporate Brand Licensee of the Year Bassett Furniture (HGTV HOME Design Studio Only at Bassett)
- Best Property of the Year Angry Birds Star Wars (Rovio Entertainment Ltd & Lucasfilm Ltd)
- Best Licensee of the Year Jazwares (Minecraft Toy Line)
FILM, TELEVISION, OR ENTERTAINMENT
- Best Film, Television, or Entertainment Program of the Year Duck Dynasty (A+E Networks/Brandgenuity)
- Best Film, Television, or Entertainment Licensee of the Year – Hard Goods Playmates Toys, Inc. (for Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Toy Line)
- Best Film, Television, or Entertainment Licensee of the Year – Soft Goods Accessory Innovations (for Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 3D Special FX Backpack)
SPORTS OR SPORTS-THEMED ENTERTAINMENT
- Best Sports Property of the Year WWE (WWE)
- Best Sports Licensee of the Year Junk Food Clothing Co. (for Vintage NFL Collection)
- Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues – Durango (Paramount Pictures)
LOCATION-BASED OR EXPERIENTIAL
- The Walking Dead: Halloween Horror Nights at Universal Studio (AMC/Striker Entertainment)
- Best Retailer of the Year: Hot Topic (for Doctor Who)
OVERALL BEST LICENSED PROGRAM OF THE YEAR
- Duck Dynasty (A+E Networks/Brandgenuity)