Classic Media is celebrating the 25th anniversary of Where’s Wally by sending him across the world.
It has established a series of 25 high-profile partnerships and marketing campaigns as part of its global celebration, ‘25 Ways to Show Your Stripes’. Events and deals are running across the fashion, travel, media and sports sectors.
Where’s Wally is of course known as Where’s Waldo in the US.
The 25 partnerships and events are as follows:
1.Stand out in any crowd with ‘Waldo’ specs from online eyewear company Warby Parker (US).
2.The EDF Energy London Eye lights up the sky on September 20th (UK).
3.The Empire State Building illuminates the New York City skyline in red-and-white on September 21st (US).
4.Spot Wally at London’s Wembley Stadium during October half-term for a search-and-find trail (UK).
5.The Where’s Waldo? “On The Beach” scene will be featured on David Ragan’s No. 34 Car at the NASCAR Sprint Series Race on October 28th. There will also be die-cast Waldo cars from Lionel NASCAR Collectables (US).
6.Waldo will ‘take flight’ in a partnership with Virgin Atlantic.
7. Waldo will celebrate his birthday at the Royal Melbourne Show in Australia on September 22nd, presented by the Royal Agricultural Society of Victoria (AU).
8.There was more Where’s Waldo? books published in 2012 than in any prior year. The 25th Anniversary Edition of Where’s Waldo? Is from Walker Books (UK and Australia) and Candlewick Press (US).
9.There’s a limited edition camera from Lomography, a magazine, a shop, and a community dedicated to analogue photography (UK).
10.The Birmingham Mint is offering a commemorate 25th Anniversary coin available online and in gift stores (UK).
11. TV show Jeopardy! features Where’s Waldo? in a category later this autumn (US).
12.Limited edition Where’s Wally satchels from Zatchels, a new fashion brand specialising in quality leather bags, will be available (UK).
13.Search on MSN.com to find the elusive Waldo on its homepage on September 21st,as part of a special Anniversary tribute (US).
14.Join the crowds on September 21st when Waldo is showcased among the bright lights of Piccadilly Circus in London (UK).
15.Join the search for Waldo (or Charlie as he is known in France) and his friends on the pages of Le Journal de Mickey and Gulli magazines. And you can meet Waldo at the Kids Expo in Paris from October 27th to October 30th (FR).
16. Search on the go with Where’s Waldo? search-and-find apps, The Fantastic Journey and In Hollywood, available from Ludia for iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad (global).
17. Like Waldo and join the crowd of 4.4 million on Facebook.com/whereswaldo and Facebook.com/whereswally (global).
18. Fashion label Comme des Garçons has produced limited edition Where's Waldo? T-shirts and scarves sold at their stores in London, Paris, Beijing and New York (global).
19. There are Waldo and Wenda dress-up costumes. You can even dress up your four-legged friend in the new Woof costume (global).
20. Search for Waldo and his friends in a new line of search-and-find board games and puzzles from Techno Source, a division of LF Products, a Li & Fung company (US).
21. See which celebrities Waldo is spotted with when he hits the hottest red carpet events throughout the year (global).
22. Create and share your Waldo Avatar with friends by visiting www.whereswaldo.com (US), www.whereswally.co.uk (UK) www.ouestcharlie.fr (FR) and www.whereswally.com.au (AU).
23. Join the fun at the Where’s Waldo? Birthday Parade at the Bath Festival of Children’s Literature on September 28th, sponsored by Walker Books (UK).
24. Cover your electronic devices in easy-to-apply skins featuring iconic Waldo scenes from Skinit (US).
25. Support independent booksellers, including those who participated in the Find Waldo Local scavenger hunt, sponsored by American Booksellers Association (ABA) and Candlewick Press, across 250 communities in all 50 States (US).
Want to receive up to the minute licensing industry news straight to your inbox? Click here to sign up for the free Licensing.biz Daily Digest and Newsflash services. You can also follow Licensing.biz on Twitter and Facebook.