Founded in 1972 Smiley is one of the world’s most iconic brands, with recent surveys showing that it has 97% brand recognition worldwide, Smiley is today one of the TOP100 licensing Companies in the world, selling in excess of 30 million products a year and a turnover at retail in excess of $400 million per annum.
With over 300 licensees and partners, across more than 13 product categories, covering a broad range of consumer products including apparel, digital, FMCG, home decor, cosmetics, toys, gift, back to school, stationary, promotions, publishing, promotions and more.
The Smiley trademark is registered in over 100 countries worldwide. Smiley is an icon for popular culture, music and is the brand champion of the global happiness movement.
About the role
Smiley is looking for a pro-active Category Manager for our Home, Gifts, Stationary, Health & Beauty and Accessories Division.
The role will require the candidate to work on strategic partners across a variety product types and critical paths across the world. Reporting into the Category VP, this is a great opportunity to come in and make a difference. It is beneficial if you have a strong understanding of product Licensing.
- Regular communication to develop positive relationships with partners, which enables delivery of, agreed Smiley objectives.
- Regularly share success stories with our partners highlighting opportunities and persuading licensees to grow out their product offer.
- Assist the VP in persuading partners / licensees to develop newness every season across our brand architecture.
- · Assist in agreeing annual business plans with licensees by category to include plans for retail and wholesale distribution, sales growth, NPD and brand support.
- Manage Critical path and ensure the overall masters sheet is updated on a weekly basis and ensure that marketing are also following and pro-actively inputting into partner’s critical paths.
- Manage NPD launches ensuring all appropriate marketing support is actioned - overseeing all aspects of projects reporting accurately at each stage
- Conduct competition / bench mark and gap analysis reports
- Pro-actively monitor category data and highlight growth opportunities to partners, marketing and to the trade
- Support and work with the sales and marketing teams to achieve commercial objectives
- Assist VP in maintaining license agreements & contract negotiations working alongside internal legal counsel
- Excellent communicator – demonstrating a high level of competence with
- Project management skills
- Analytical – data manipulation
- Excellent team building and communication skills ( strong interpersonal skills)
- Excellent IT office skills e.g. Microsoft – Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Negotiation skills
- Excellent at written reports and presentations
- Flexible and the ability to multi task
- Having the ability to lead and mentor other team members whilst remaining hands on with all aspects of strategy development
- European languages would be beneficial
- Travel required throughout the UK and occasional Europe to visit the licensees for review meetings.
Anyone interested in applying for the role can send their CV and covering letter to Samantha Brown, office manager at The Smiley Company at email@example.com