Licensed headphones are enjoying a year-on-year growth rate of 130 per cent, according to GfK.
Plus, just under 90 per cent of all sales of licensed headphones come from celebrities (like the Dr Dre Beats headphones, for example).
Retail sales data firm GfK was part of the 'What's Hot? What's Not?' conference at Brand Licensing Europe 2012 today, where it announced a host of other statistics relevant to the licensing industry.
GfK's Max Templeman cited brand headphones and audio products as one of the core growth categories.
"We're seeing innovation in the audio category," he said. "We've got limited editions, Angry Birds licensed mini speakers and more.
"And this is only going to continue as manufacturers arrange more licensing deals."
GfK also said tablet sales were up 250 per cent year-on-year. It mentioned which product categories were performing well and which ones were down year-on-year, including the following:
- Watches - down nine per cent
- Games and consoles - down 26 per cent
- Sunglasses - down 11 per cent
- Colouring pencils - down four per cent
- Software - down 11 per cent
- Headphones - up 22 per cent
- Bakeware - up 10 per cent
- Tablets - up 250 per cent
- Phone accessories - up 32 per cent
- Smartphones - up 19 per cent
Want to receive up to the minute licensing industry news straight to your inbox? Click here to sign up for the free Licensing.biz Daily Digest and Newsflash services. You can also follow Licensing.biz on Twitter and Facebook.